Sign in

I forgot my password.

I'm Starting Kill la Kill

Miser_Reborn

I will post any updates, thoughts, and observations here. Feel free to bitch about what I have to say engage in the discussion.

156 Replies

Miser_Reborn

I'm glad this eased me in. [For the observant reader, yes, that was sarcasm.] Seriously, it's been less than a minute and it's gotten... strange.

Eddie

KILL FUCKING DIES

..oh yeah and Stein does too.

Neal

ROLF

This deserves celebration! But also you are very critical of things so I'm hesitant. I feel that this image matches perfectly with what I am saying. CHAT Image

Neal

ROLF

@Eddie: ............ Non of that is in the anime.
Plus the anime is still running. Episode 8 came out to day fro god's sake.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Just wait.

Miser_Reborn

Interesting opening scene, to say the least. I think I enjoyed it, though to be honest I'm not entirely sure.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: That is probably the best response to the opening that I have heard to date. Not to say people don't like the opening I just enjoy that statement the most.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW the main character's name isn't Kill

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: No that would be dumb.

Eddie

@Neal:
implying I was being serious.

Miser_Reborn

My god, this show is zany (though not as wacky as Azanymanga Daioh).

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: You have seen nothing yet.

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

@Miser_Reborn:
OH WOW SWEET MEME ARROW BRO

Miser_Reborn

It occurs to me that every single anime I've ever seen takes place in a school. Also because I've seen, like, two animes, I'm going to make a lot of comparisons to Azumanga Daioh. For example, the sidekick girl is basically Tomo, except even more batshit crazy.

On the subject of this show being insane: I like it. I'm glad it never lets up, because I like shit like that; it was one of the best parts of Gravity.

Miser_Reborn

What was the point of the thirty seconds of exposition (in regards to the conversation about the uniforms) which was already presupposed in the first 4 minutes?! Sorry, pet peeve.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Then you shout like all of this anime. It will never slow down. EVER!

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Telling the character. Also for the people that aren't paying attention or cannot follow along.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW the main character's weapon of choice is a scissor.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Also the uniform thing has a secret pert to it that is shown in the second episode. Trust me there is reasoning that you haven't got to yet.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn:Scissors are good for fighting people who's main weapon are magical clothing.

Miser_Reborn

I know that the animation's supposed to be stylistic and shit, but there are times when it's very confusing what's going on. Minor complaint.

FappingBlackGuy

OW;TheJosher

I like it, I guess, but I don't like how the main character is totally objectified. Because come on she was pretty ballin' until she turned into a slutski.

Miser_Reborn

@Neal: No, I get it, it's just that they spent 30 seconds explaining something that any reasonably intelligent viewer should've understood by that point.

Neal

ROLF

@FappingBlackGuy: There is a fix coming that changes that. This is just her first form.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW the teacher is the guy from all of Neal's gifs.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Nah. He is not. CHAT Image

Miser_Reborn

@Neal: I get that it was for telling the character, but there are ways around that. The angles used, the way things were said.... it was definitely a message for the viewer disguised as one to the character. If you couldn't figure out what the uniforms were, you're too stupid to enjoy the show. I know I'm getting hissy about this, but it is a minor part of the show. I am enjoying it, it's just that that's something that bothers me.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Best thing to do is to ignore it. It is a new concept that they are trying to get across before they continue and people are confused.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW the thing that jumps out is a Haunter

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: We'll go with that for the next 30 seconds.

Miser_Reborn

Oh, good. Now the main character become stronger thanks to Teach's super-secret deus ex machina warehouse. Good thing they didn't have character development or anything.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: You mean her dad's super-secret deus ex machina warehouse. That was her and her dad's old house.

Miser_Reborn

@Neal: I get why they did it, I'm just saying it's frustrating to me. Exposition dumps and the like.

Miser_Reborn

Goddamn these subtitles go fast.

Also, I love how the entire school is at the mercy of the student council president.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Don't worry all will make sense soon. And you'll have entirely justified questions that make you love the show.

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@Neal: I only watched the first episode and I love it.

Neal

ROLF

@Redblood801: You need to watch more.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW the oil is so hot it instantly boils human beings alive.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: That is actually science though. That shit can and does happen.

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@Neal: You're not the boss of me. You can't tell me what to do.

Neal

ROLF

@Redblood801: Did I stutter? CHAT Image

Miser_Reborn

Sorry. I dinnered.

Would someone please explain to me what "Te Ken Fu Sai" means?

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

CHAT Image
>MFW you think this is Stingy posting again

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@Chenzo: HOLY SHIAT!

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@Chenzo:

Huh. We can’t seem to load this image.

>MFW that worked as well as expected

Miser_Reborn

OH, BOY, IT'S OVERLYSEXUALIZED. [There's that sarcasm thing again.] If this wasn't going to turn into something the series would be shoving in the audience's faces CONSTANTLY, then I wouldn't mind, as the initial joke is funny, I guess. Did this REALLY need to be constantly in the show's focus?

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@Chenzo:

CHAT Image
>MFW I thought that pic didn't get posted and when the page was refreshed it showed up

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: I'm not sure exactly. But I'm going to say that it is a boxing chant for a rhythm of punches. Like where he is going to hit next or just did hit.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Keep watching it gets better. But they have to hook their audience first.

Miser_Reborn

@Neal: I was thinking it was 1-2-3-4.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: It would be like that I guess. I'll have my Japanese major friend tell me later and I'll get beck to you on it.

Miser_Reborn

@Neal: Nope, that's not it.

M4xwell

Insanitarium

So many cats.

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@M4xwell: Well considering my Avatar has the Meowth voice, I guess it's safe to say that.

Miser_Reborn

That episode was okay. It was decently entertaining, I guess. Very stylized, though that worked for better and worse in different scenarios. I'm gonna stick with it, as I anticipate it will get better, but as far as pilots go, I'd give it a Nolan out of 10.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: How high is a Nolan on a 1-10 scale?

Miser_Reborn

@Neal: Meh.

Miser_Reborn

So the suit talks to her now. I'm calling it Jarvis.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: I am unsatisfied with that. But I know that the show gets better and you'll like it more ofr it.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Its called Senketsu

Miser_Reborn

@Neal: I know I will, too, but at this point I don't.

Miser_Reborn

This is officially the greatest episode title ever.

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: It has the best named episodes. Such as: I will wipe my own tears. That being Episode 8 which is now my favourite episode and has my favourite character as the focus.

Miser_Reborn

That scene where they were eating dinner was awesome.

Miser_Reborn

OH GOD THESE SIDE CHARACTERS ARE GETTING TO BE BEYOND ZANY.

Miser_Reborn

@Neal: Nope, Jarvis.

Miser_Reborn

Take a shot every time she calls someone perverted.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW Teach keeps switching between Dr. Stein from Soul Eater and Max Galactica from Ace Attorney

(for the all-of-you who inevitably don't get the reference:
CHAT Image
CHAT Image)

Miser_Reborn

Aite, the fact that Tomo keeps getting a case of Daphne syndrome is hilarious (considering how transparently they play that fact up).

Miser_Reborn

I died at Tomo's explanation of why Kill won.

Miser_Reborn

Here's something that's starting to bug me. The minibosses are starting to seem kind of... flat. Like, the last guy was characterized by boxing gloves, an obsession with his club, and EVILLL. This girl's characterized by a tennis racket, an obsession with his club, and EVILLLL. Also, eye scope. Do these enemies get better? If not, it's going to bother me.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW she "put a special spin on it"

Miser_Reborn

Shoutout to the total Sailor Moon-style power-up sequence. (If I'm not mistaken that's an appropriate reference; I haven't ever seen the show.)

Miser_Reborn

So, like, is Kill capable of thinking on her own? Or does she need Jarvis and Teach to explain everything to her? I mean, in some cases, it's appropriate, but wouldn't it have been more HAHA FUCK YOU TENNIS GIRL if she thought up using the scissor blade on her own?

Miser_Reborn

Serious props to the show for making a tennis match awesome. This deserves to be given the same regard as Courage the Cowardly Dog making a wallball match entertaining.

Miser_Reborn

Solid episode. Good humor in the first half, and an awesome fight scene (if you can call it that) in the latter. I like some of the trends I'm seeing, though others... not so much, namely the weak enemy characters. In general, these characters could do well with a little fleshing out. Good news is, there's still time to accomplish that. Overall, I'd give it a Liam Taylor out of 10.

Miser_Reborn

One more episode for tonight, I think.

Miser_Reborn

@FappingBlackGuy: Yeah really. The slutskiness is annoying.

Miser_Reborn

The design of the actual academy is boring. Sure, Soul Eater suffered a similar problem, but at least that was a giant skull and looked interesting and shit. This feels more like a backdrop than anything, and not a terribly good one at that. It's like the generic sci-fi background in the Brawl custom stages.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW there's a secret underground sewing laboratory.

Miser_Reborn

Huh. We can’t seem to load this image.

>MFW this outfit is even more ridiculous and skimpy.

Miser_Reborn

I might have to start calling Jarvis Fi, considering that ALL IT REALLY DOES IS TELL KILL WHEN SHE'S ABOUT TO DIE.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW the Big Bad's leg doesn't even attempt to move in sync with the footstep sounds

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW Tomo does the thing she did last episode to save the day again.

Miser_Reborn

OH, GOODY, Kill has an even skimpier Mega Evolution too!

Miser_Reborn

Now THAT was one hell of an episode. Skimpiness aside, that was an awesome fight scene, and KILL FINALLY GOT SOME FUCKING CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT THAT CAME FROM HERSELF, NOT AN OUTSIDE SOURCE. This has easily been the best episode thus far. Having her explain the character development over the course of her Mega Evolving felt a little... I dunno... drawn-out, and thus condescending. Those are my only real complaints, though. I'd give it a this:
CHAT Image
out of ten.

ltayl1

Watch Gurren Lagann once you catch up to the most recent episode of Kill la Kill.

Miser_Reborn

CHAT Image
>MFW I'm done for tonight.

Miser_Reborn

@ltayl1: Will do. I know even less about that than I do Kill la Kill, though, but that's a good thing.

ltayl1

@Miser_Reborn: Mechs and insanity.
I'd say that accurately sums up Gurren Lagann (or at least the reasons as to why I love it)

Miser_Reborn

@ltayl1: GREAT, NOW I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

ltayl1

@Miser_Reborn: Oh yeah, and Stein dies in Steins;Gate.
Fuckin spoiling shit left and right.

Miser_Reborn

Nevermind. I looked it up.

ltayl1

@Miser_Reborn: Fuck you. Now I have to edit this post as well.

Miser_Reborn

@ltayl1: Lel.
CHAT Image

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: I went to take a nap and I come back to say some things. 1. The villains thus far and a few more are lame. But they are recognized to be so and instead of one two star per episode she beats multiple ones and then the enemies get really good. Also all of them are obsessed with their clubs because how well their club does is how well they will live outside of Hounjini Academy and they all want to get a three star uniform and become part of the inner circle.

2. I said there was a change coming not that it was a good one, but ignore it and move on.

3. USE THEIR FUCKING NAMES OR STOP TRYING TO TYPE SHIT THAT IS FALSE! Main Protagonist is Ryuko Matoi not fucking 'Kill' and Sangetsu is definitely not a butler character especially since there is a butler character already. Seriously at least learn names of characters if you want to say anything about the show. If you want to review shit then you have to actually watch it not just kind of and type names wrong for any reason.
P.S. my auto-correct is hating all these Japanese names so it is acting wonky. 

Mr_RobotPancake

@Miser_Reborn: 1-2-3-4 is ichi, ni, san, shi

Neal

ROLF

@Miser_Reborn: Also as for the sound not going with a characters action I think the sound of the episode you watched messed up on your end because that doesn't happen to me. Also learn Mako's name she is important not just a side character and in case you have never had a friend that close that is what they do. They encourage you to go above and beyond your normal needs. So get used to liking it or get out.

Miser_Reborn

@Neal:
1. When I pointed out that they're all obsessed with their clubs, that wasn't their flatter bits of their personalities. Sorry for the confusion; that, specifically, is not a bad thing. I was just describing the two villains thus far.
2. K.
3. CHAT Image
It's just a joke. Also, if it really makes you feel better, I'll call Sangetsu Fi.

Miser_Reborn

@Neal: There was definitely a brief sequence. I'd like to point out that a lot of what I'm saying should be taken light-heartedly. Honestly, the only times I'm being especially serious are the episode recaps. You're really pissed about my conditionally-affectionate nicknames, aren't you? And what are you talking about, I'm loving the character of Tomo Mako. Hence the gif.

Topic has been locked.

You must be signed in to reply.