Sign in

I forgot my password.

so i got a question for you guys

ikimevol

are you at all tired of the way the brony community/fandom has been acting as of late? as in pushing little girls down to get merch, berating children when they dress up, and just generally being assholes?

85 Replies

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

I try not to get involved with those kinds of fans. Generally the musicians and (most of) the artists are pretty cool people. It's just as fucked up as any large fanbase.

risaxis

BANNED

Replying to OP:I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen much. I'm a pretty nice dude and I'm a brony.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

@risaxis: You are absolutely not a "pretty nice dude".

risaxis

BANNED

@SpongeyGString:I totally am. You just haven't got to see that side of me.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

@risaxis: If you're a "nice guy" on very rare occasions and an arse for the rest that doesn't make you a nice guy.

Parks

Ass To Ass

If they act like assholes then i'm not a fan of them, all other times I just don't care.

TheMehParade

Where are you getting this from? I'm pretty involved in the brony community and I haven't seen any of what you're talking about. That said, as with any passionate fanbase, there are gonna be a couple of assholes- same with trekkies, Breaking Bad fans, whatever. I'm a nice guy... I think.

TheXRayFactor

Based Deak

yes i'm tired of seeing ponies everywhere

JohnStephen

The show is decent, but hardly good enough for these crazed fucking fanatics.

aWSOMN360

Meh, people are assholes in general. If someones an asshole and they enjoy a show i wouldnt blame the show, i'd blame the person.

DashingRainbow

if you have a large group of people, in this case bronies. Some of them are just bound do be assholes. It's the people not the fanbase

KingJemnas

I don't care for ponies but it seems the more outspoken part of the community are the assholes and the super obsessed people that won't shut up about it and want everyone else to join in. It would be cool to have the normal nice people to be more outspoken too so we can see the difference. I don't know what I just wrote

M4xwell

Insanitarium

I'm gonna go with aWSOMN360 on this one. People are arseholes for the sake of being arseholes, no matter the fandom they are a part of. It's just that they so happen to be in the MLP fandom (the one where a good chunk of us are in, no matter the extremities) and they show their true stripes in it. The best thing to do is to either stop this from happening (impossible at most) or ignore them and show others how the 'real' side of the fandom is.

BigPaul2

i think its because ponies arnt really that good. so people have to justify their love of it with over the top theatrics to then give them a believable and socially acceptable reason for liking the show. most people in society cant really grasp an ordinary adult male enjoying a show clearly made for young girls. so those who feel insecure about what they should and should not like decide to pull the crazy fan card (subconsciously of course). this type of fan is for some crazy reason socially acceptable. the norms of society can grasp the reality that this crazy fan likes what hes crazy about. society only recognizes the ones they can understand. and they cannot seem to grasp the normal everyday bro enjoying a show for pre-teen hos (srry for any sexist nature...i really wanted to rhyme). due to this i believes the crazy asshole bronies are the fans who are actually self conscious of their favourite things. embarrassed to be a brony. yet they cover that shaky fanhood of theirs with a facade of crazy and douchery.

aWSOMN360

@BigPaul2:

CHAT Image

LaughingMan9

@BigPaul2: I saw this days ago and now seems like a good time to share.

"I know there's plenty of extremist fans of every category, but MLP seemingly, at least from my experience, has invited plenty of the introverts who are now acting out and don't know how to properly act in a public setting."

aWSOMN360

@LaughingMan9: Once again though, those are people, human being who are in control of their own decision. Its like a religion, are there extremists, yes, and though i think religion is stupid in general i am under the belief that the actions of a few should not affect the way the group as a whole should be looked at. Yes we have a few more crazies than the usual fanbase, but we also have a few more artists than the usual fanbase, and a few more charities than the usual fanbase. Thats because we have a bigger fanbase in general than most things and the fans are very active in the community.

JohnStephen

@aWSOMN360:
This thread can pretty much be summed up with "correlation does not imply causation", can't it?

aWSOMN360

@JohnStephen: Yes, thank you.

CyroWolf

@JohnStephen:
CHAT Image

KorporalKitty

PAM

It's like most groups you only hear the negative because the positive is not 'interesting'/ 'newsworthy'

JohnStephen

@Korporal_kitty:
Idiots always shout the loudest.

MrFozzilla

the Inactive

@JohnStephen: You deserve a second clap.
CHAT Image

LaughingMan9

@aWSOMN360: I wouldn't say bigger, I would say more vocal. They're like the vegetarians of sub-cultures. You don't have to ask if they are, they'll tell you. And I'll be honest its more of a parody of fandom/culture than it is a separate entity.

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

I only know 1 brony, so my opinion is a null and void piece of shit.

ShadowBelmont32

Sometimes, I think, and I'm just spitballin' here, that some of the bronies out there are probably not even really bronies. By that I mean, they probably only watched the show because one of their female friends that they wanted to bang watched it and they thought to themselves, "Hey, if I watch this show and act like I like it a lot and dress up and go to cons and stuff with this chick, maybe she'll bang me!" I'm not saying every brony is that case, but I'm sure there are some like that out there. Also, not being a MLP fan myself, I just don't understand the appeal of being a brony.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

FUCKING SHIT I forgot to click reply. This was in response to LaughingMan9.  
"You don't have to ask if they are, they'll tell you." You're basing that on a stereotype. There are many bronies who don't care if people know if they are of not and many who would hate for any of their friends/family to find out that they were.

MLP_JoshF

Replying to OP: Can you link the story about the brony pushing little girls down to get the toy and the one about a brony berating children when they dress up? I haven't even heard of either, and frankly I think you're full of shit.

LaughingMan9

@SpongeyGString: Its a stereotype about vegetarians. And doesn't that always seem to be the case? Just because its a stereotype doesn't mean it isn't true.

I'm not talking about that ridiculous "coming out of the stable" shit either. I'm talking about online presence and I guess conventions to a lesser extent.

MLP_JoshF

@LaughingMan9: Just because it's a stereotype doesn't mean it's always true. For example, I know a black person who sucks complete shit at basketball and I also know a Jewish guy who failed Math.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

@LaughingMan9: I'm really not the right person to be trying to argue this, my liking of the show goes as far as discussing it with other people who enjoy it, rather than actively shouting about it, bringing it up when it's not the current topic and trying to "convert" others to liking the show, which is something a lot of bronies do (and I can see why you'd dislike them).

LaughingMan9

@MLP_JoshF: Jews and math isn't a stereotype. This is a stereotype.

MLP_JoshF

@LaughingMan9: You're missing the point. A stereotype doesn't define every person in that particular group (whether they are bronies, African-Americans, etc.).

LaughingMan9

@MLP_JoshF: That's why its a stereotype and not a psychological trait.

LaughingMan9

@SpongeyGString: I can dig that. I can ignore that. There's 400 MLP related subreddits and I've never seen a single one. Its the oversaturation of their spoof fanart and parody songs that leech onto every other aspect of popular culture that is absolutely obnoxious to me.

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@LaughingMan9: Fair enough.

deadshadow

foking furry

im not a brony so i don't care

aWSOMN360

@LaughingMan9: And we do it to annoy specifically you, damn you for discovering or plan. (Sarcasm intended.)

Overtoad

Replying to OP: You're gonna get some of that with most any teenage fan-base.

ikimevol

@Overtoad:: yeah i know it just sucks cause this use to be a nice community till they moved in

LaughingMan9

@aWSOMN360:
CHAT Image

LaughingMan9

@Redblood801: I'll allow it.

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@aWSOMN360: So does this mean the Half-Life 3 is confirmed?

M4xwell

Insanitarium

@ikimevol: Got a question though for you: Are you also involving the NSFW aspects in these types of people? such as the ones who may draw inappropriate/animate XXX-rated things about the fandom? Or even go as afar as to fully dress like them for normal/sexual manners? (Because this shouldn't have to do with the fandom itself, but the people in general.)

ikimevol

@M4xwell:a little?but like you said i dont really count that as part of the fandom since its not something everybody is into

ReservoirDog

I'm surprised there's as large of a fanbase as there is. The show is mediocre and made for little girls.

ikimevol

@ReservoirDog: that can be answered in two parts.

1. the show is actually pretty well written and has a good message so there's that

and 2. because people, in a way, like to feel different from others. if you look at the way other fandoms act *cough* homestuck *cough* you can see what i mean

M4xwell

Insanitarium

@ReservoirDog: In your opinion. The fanbase is so large because it was such a cult following since the beginning, and thus due to the few people who enjoyed it, it grew larger and larger to what it is now.

The_Balla_Koala

"lately"
implying it hasn't always been this way.

The_Balla_Koala

@ikimevol: The show had horrible writing last time I saw it(early 3rd season). Sure season 1 and 2 were pretty good, but after that is just meh.

sonny88p

I am not a brony and probably never will be

What I say now is applied for bronies and other fandoms which include religion:
Like what you like, just don't force it on others
You are allowed to inform others of the thing you like, just keep in mind that others might be doing this too and you will scare of potential friends because you are overcrowding them
Also do not say the thing you like is the only thing to like, you have to respect other opinions
Love and Tolerate

TheMehParade

@sonny88p: I see what you did there.

aStingyMiser

It's a fad. I'm waiting for it to pass. The difference this time is that I was interested enough to hitch a ride. It's like being a hitch-hiker and being picked up in a car; it's interesting for a while, but sooner than later it'll all blow over.

TenaciousTuttle

6/10 Art Guy

I think the problem is that we're noticing a vocal minority.

I mean, there are all kinds of people in all kinds of fandoms. Be it fandom of a cartoon horse or fandom of a god, there will always be a majority of mostly OK people, some awesome people and a few lunatics. Like how most people tend to associate bronies with cloppers, even though the latter is only a very small minority of the former. The reason people don't notice the "normal" fans is precisely because they're normal- they don't yell in people's faces bout things that they like.

The reason that vocal minorities are noticed so often is because they do things specifically to stand out (i.e. be vocal). The majority, on the other hand, does the opposite, so the group as a whole is represented by the members that are the easiest to see.

And that sucks sometimes.

CyroWolf

@TenaciousTuttle: PREACH! (Sidenote: I won't even consider myself a brony, as my fandom does not extend past watching the show and viewing the occasional fan-made content.) 

ikimevol

@The_Balla_Koala: ill agree that the 3rd season was weak. my least favourite season. the second season was the strongest

ltayl1

@AStingyMiser: This.

risaxis

BANNED

The brony community is a loving whole-hearted group of amazing individuals. That being said these "bronies" who are shoving children and marrying twilight are not part of us and we are not to be grouped with them. Seriously, if you marry twilight sparkle you should just reevaluate your life.

and kill yourself.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

@risaxis:
>"The brony community is a loving whole-hearted group of amazing individuals."
>Tells guy to kill himself.
You really are something, aren't you.

risaxis

BANNED

@SpongeyGString:i represent the element of loyalty. I was being loyal to my people.

KorporalKitty

PAM

@risaxis:You have no people

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

@risaxis: You represent the element of being an arsehole.

risaxis

BANNED

@SpongeyGString:
@Korporal_kitty:
aw thanks guys. <3

LaughingMan9

@risaxis: All two of you who aren't weird fucks can't pick and choose your "herd".

risaxis

BANNED

@LaughingMan9:hating on a community all about spreading love and unity. Is this what you call a "good time".

LaughingMan9

@risaxis: If watching a show for little girls is what it took for you to be a good person I think that might be a serious case of the autisms. Hitler was all about building a stronger community and brotherly love. Was Hitler a good time? Did Hitler want to ostracize members of his community that were undesirable for marrying fictional characters?

LaughingMan9

@risaxis: Ipso facto you are literally Hitler.

risaxis

BANNED

@LaughingMan9:I was always a good person, we just didn't have a community of good people before like me.

CyroWolf

@risaxis: What are you on about?

risaxis

BANNED

@CyroWolf:about the great community of people like me called bronies. <3

JohnStephen

CHAT Image

/thread

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

So we can all agree risaxis is a terrible example of a brony and a terrible example of a human being in general.

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@SpongeyGString: Here here.

M4xwell

Insanitarium

@SpongeyGString: ...well then.

aWSOMN360

@SpongeyGString: Im indifferent.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

@aWSOMN360: Well, maybe not a "terrible" example of a human but definitely a bad example of a brony.

aWSOMN360

@SpongeyGString: That i can agree with.

MLP_JoshF

@SpongeyGString:
CHAT Image

ikimevol

im not really sure where this thread went to

Overtoad

@ikimevol: The dogs.

JohnStephen

@ikimevol:
Welcome to CHAT!

FlygonNick

You get fanatics in every type of fanbase. Not all bronies are bad or weird. Some are just people who watch the show, like it, and that's it. (i.e. Me)

As for risaxis, I'm not saying anything because I try to be one of the nice guys on CHAT. :D

M4xwell

Insanitarium

@FlygonNick: Nice Guys FTW! :D

CyroWolf

@JohnStephen: This.

You must be signed in to reply.