Sign in

I forgot my password.

RTX 2013 Guardian. Ask Me Anything

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

I worked as a Guardian for RTX this year. It was amazing. It was super hard, but super fun. Ask me Anything.

94 Replies

KorporalKitty

PAM

why?

FlygonNick

Is Andrew's face really that red?

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@FlygonNick:

Not really. It's only really red when he talks and gets excited. And Dylon is way shorter than you would expect.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@Korporal_kitty:

Why not?

KorporalKitty

PAM

@cannonofdoom:YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HE THINKS do you?

Reaver

Do you even lift?

JohnStephen

Did you get to take part in the convention as a normal person at all? Was it worth it?

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@Reaver:

Yes.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@JohnStephen:

I got to see the Achievement Hunter Panel, and I got in to play Assassin's Creed IV. Other than that I was able to walk the floor some, both before the doors officially opened, and for about three hours total the rest of the weekend. After the event, most of the RT staff stayed for a Guardians only signing. Those guys are awesome.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

It was definitely worth it. I didn't want to leave when it was over, and I will be applying again next year.

Parks

Ass To Ass

What's the rough estimation of Dylons height? How sick was the Exhibit Hall?

Reaver

@cannonofdoom: Good man.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@Parks:

I'd put Dylon at about 5'2". I was working registration and he came up to me to get his badge. I was like ... "Dylon? I know you! Well, I don't know you, but I love the Internet Box." It was a little surreal, but then, the whole weekend was. Gus especially is a super sneaky guy, and I would often turn around to see him just hanging out behind me like it was no big deal. Ray also came up to me to get his badge, but I had to send him down the line because he needed a Staff badge.

The Exhibit Hall was amazing. Some highlights include the RT museum, and the life size (5 meters tall) Tower of Pimps that Jack built. AH Lounge was absolutely full of people the entire weekend. The AH guys did live Let's Plays on the center stage. They also introduced the next Halo 4 DLC at the event, including the new Pitfall map, a remake of The Pit.

aWSOMN360

Whats your favourite colour?

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@aWSOMN360:

Red

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@Redblood801:

Bristlecone pine.

forcep

BANNED

How hard was your dick

aWSOMN360

The dick pf which species of whale does Barbra have?

BigPaul2

what requirements did you have to meet in order to be able to be a guardian?

JohnStephen

@cannonofdoom:
That's the incorrect way to spell Purple.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@forcep:

As hard as math.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@aWSOMN360:

Whichever species is the one which is super nice, incredibly hard working, and has a huge dick.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@BigPaul2:

There were 1200 applicants, and 300 were selected. Many guardians had worked last year's RTX. In my case, I applied for registration, and my years of experience working at hotels and my availability for the whole weekend is probably what got me selected.

My advice is the same for any job you want to apply for. Apply early, have the skills they need, and have a resume to back it up. They want to expand RTX next year, so they will be needing even more guardians.

M4xwell

Insanitarium

1. What is your favourite word?

2. What is your least favourite word?

3. What turns you on?

4. What turns you off?

5. What sound do you love?

6. What sound do you hate?

7. What is your favourite curse word?

8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?

9. What profession would you not like to do?

10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@M4xwell:

1. Kerfuffle

2. Like

3. My Wife's butt.

4. My butt.

5. Leaves rustling in the wind on a summer day in Upstate New York

6. Teeth scraping on metal silverware

7. Goddammit

8. I'd like to open a store that sells board and tabletop games

9. An office job with a repetitive work environment.

10. "Sup, bro? You wanna play Minecraft fo' real?"

JohnStephen

@cannonofdoom:
About number 8, if you want to be a guardian at RTX 2014, you should change that. Suck up now!

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@JohnStephen:

Well, there are logistical issues right now.

forcep

BANNED

@cannonofdoom:are we talking vector calculus hard

RaphyL

Did you work mainly in one specific area, or did you change the area that you guarded every day?

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@forcep:

Algebraic geometry hard.

Eddie

@cannonofdoom:
So not hard?

Also Cheers man, I don't know if I ever ran into you specifically, but all the guardians were nice and helpful.

Also, did you ever have to get serious and yell at someone?

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@RaphyL:

I was assigned to Registration. Once that calmed down or when I was not technically on duty I was working several other areas. I did line management for a while. I also worked the door at the Attendee Mixer on Saturday night. At one point I was just walking the floor handing out water to guardians who had been standing for hours. Anytime I was not officially needed for Registration I would find somewhere else to be useful. At one point they started moving autograph lines into the bigger room in Hall 5, so I went to help with the lines there. My job at that point was to basically inform people that the line for the Barbara and Joel signing was capped and they wouldn't let any more people into the line. Suddenly, a huge crowd of people tried to swarm into the room. I was faced with about 300-500 people all wanting to herd from the exhibit floor through the massive doors into hall 5. I didn't know what the fuck was going on, so I stopped them (which was pretty awesome, because they listened and stood back for a second) and created a queue line where there was none. It led nowhere, just back and forth ending in a rope. I put them there and sent a guardian to find out what to do with them. They had moved the Jen Taylor (Cortana) signing into Hall 5 and weren't able to warn us in time. It was madness! But we got a line built from scratch and managed not to let anyone trample anyone else.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@Eddie:

I never had to yell at anyone. Almost every single attendee was very polite and respectful of the Guardians. We were there to help them have fun, and they knew it. There was a point where we had some irate attendees, but they were generally handled by the team leaders or Mary and Chris - Guardian Underlords.

I did have to be firm with a couple people who were trying to sneak under ropes to get into closed lines, and I had to send some people back down an elevator they weren't supposed to be in, but other than that, no problems with attendees.

We did have one asshole trying to put "Fake Nerdgirl" stickers on the good looking female attendees without them noticing, but he got caught, dropped his stack of stickers, and bolted like a bitch. Good thing too, because he pissed off a lot of nerds. Male and female alike.

CyroWolf

@cannonofdoom: Referring to the last story: Yeesh, what a cockbiting fucktard.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@CyroWolf:

I know, right?

Ogrelord_Shrek

BANNED

Calm down NGF. Post has been censored.

IS HE A BITCH?
  1. YES
  2. YES

Poll has been closed.

Carlsbean

BANNED

@Ogrelord_Shrek: TOTAL BITCH.

Deadlyparasite1

BANNED

@Ogrelord_Shrek: XDDDDDD

Shannon

Queen

@cannonofdoom: He is 5'2. I asked him over twitter because Im 5'2

JiffyLoob

@Ogrelord_Shrek: MY EYES HURT FROM LOOKING AT HIM

forcep

BANNED

@cannonofdoom:weak, vector calculus is the worst

BreadWolf

Weinerlord

What is a guardian?

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@BreadWolf:

Guardians are the volunteers who are selected by Barbara and Gus to work the RTX event. They run all the tasks that fall between the domains of the exhibitors and the convention hall, including, but not limited to: Registration, Panels, Line Management, VIP Assistants, Staff Assistants, Event Security, etc.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@19nonnahs93:

Awesome! I'm good at guessing!

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@forcep:

You're the worst. :P

Who's dick did u have to suck to get this job?

CyroWolf

@: My bet's on Barbra.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@:

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

I just applied and got lucky. The dick sucking was optional, but I feel my enthusiasm when working the shaft helped a bit.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

Who gives the best hugs of the IB group?

JohnStephen

@cannonofdoom:
You're talking to us as if we were new to dick sucking.

Shannon

Queen

@cannonofdoom: I think you're becoming one of my favourites. Can we be friends? :)

Gamechild

@19nonnahs93: HE IS MINE STAY AWAY FROM HIM

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

@19nonnahs93: Who do you think you are, coming on here and stealing all the guys before anyone else gets a chance?

aStingyMiser

@M4xwell: Shout out to what's-his-face.

Shannon

Queen

@SpongeyGString: Hey Im just befriending people.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@SpongeyGString:

Kerry. They're full bodied and smell faintly of Lilacs.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@19nonnahs93:

Aren't we all friends through our bond in love of ponies?

Shannon

Queen

@cannonofdoom: Yes, but i like making friends :) And officially saying We're Friends! haha

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

@19nonnahs93: As opposed to just acquaintances (lol).

CyroWolf

@19nonnahs93: I sense more vault dwellers in the midst.

UR ALL MY FRIEND NOW LETS GO GET SOME SOFT TACOS LATER!

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@19nonnahs93:

Hurray friendship!

KorporalKitty

PAM

Do you like the USS gondola

Shannon

Queen

@cannonofdoom:  YAAAAAY! Also because it's my thing:

Add me on skype (i19nonnahs93) :P hahahaha

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@Korporal_kitty:

http://breadfish.co.uk/

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@19nonnahs93:

I don't skype, because I am an adult man with a pocket telephone device, but thanks for the invite!

Shannon

Queen

@cannonofdoom: hey Im an adult female with a cellphone, but Im also in Canada, and I cant really afford that much long distance hahhaa

CyroWolf

@cannonofdoom: Skype app is free. Solution found.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@19nonnahs93:

I just don't use skype. I don't want to download and install a program and register for a service just to add you as a friend and then never log in again! :D

Shannon

Queen

@cannonofdoom: thats fair :)

Overt_Ode

Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bump!

A. When'd you apply?
2. Was anything provided in the way of accommodations?
C. What were hours like?
4. What's your favourite time of year?
V. Can you juggle?
6. How long before RTX were you expected to be there?
G. Do you say bristlecone because they live so long? They're cones are fucking malicious. They could probably puncture a bike tire.
VIII. Is "gaurdians" a typical term or something that just RTX uses?

Overt_Ode

@Overt-Ode: *Their
I can spake.

M4xwell

Insanitarium

Dat bump

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@Overt-Ode:

A. As soon as applications opened. Some months before the event.
2. No. I work for a hotel, so I was able to acquire a room at a significant discount. There was a lot of discussion on the Guardian group about people sharing rooms, and the normal RTX hotel deals were available.
C. Hours varied depending on many factors. I was never asked to work more than 8 hours in a day, though I did because I wanted to. I was once ordered to go get some rest.
4. Winter.
V. Yes, I can juggle three objects for an extended time.
6. I was expected to be there the day registration opened.
G. Bristlecones live the longest of any known organism. That's cool.
VIII. Guardian is specific to RTX, but many events use similar terms. PAX volunteers are called "Enforcers".

Overt_Ode

@cannonofdoom: Woo! Juggling!
Thanks!

ADashofRainbow

@cannonofdoom:
you are given H. Jon Benjamin's voice for one day, what do you do with your awesome new power?

Shannon

Queen

I just like to point out:

cannonofdoom

@19nonnahs93:

I just don't use skype. I don't want to download and install a program and register for a service just to add you as a friend and then never log in again! :D "

Except you did get a skype and add me on it.

I always win! :) Remember that boys! I always win.

Overt_Ode

@Shannon: Yes, mam.

ADashofRainbow

@Overt-Ode:
yes ma'am

Overt_Ode

@ADashofRainbow:
yes merm

ColdStew

All of my posts got removed by the OVERLORD.

Mike

OVERLORD

Your people let me store some of my stuff from fans in one of your secret guardian rooms, because I didn't have a bag.

Much appreciated! :)

ADashofRainbow

@Mike:
not a question,

Overt_Ode

@ADashofRainbow:
no'ot a question

ADashofRainbow

@Overt-Ode:
nat a question

Overt_Ode

@ADashofRainbow:
gnat a question

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@Mike:

Most of the Guardians I worked with were fans of IB. I saw you guys wandering the floor a few times, sometimes with Andrew and Michael, sometimes just you, Dylon, Bunny, and a couple others. I remember yelling at you that IB was the best podcast. It was funny, because you all seemed to enjoy the semi-fame, but weren't entirely comfortable with it.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@ADashofRainbow:

I get a job on Archer, and hit on Aisha Tyler. I offend her, and she beats the living crap out of me, punching me so hard in the throat she breaks my larynx and I can no longer speak. The blessing becomes a curse!

@Shannon:
I installed Skype to play DandD with my friends in Albuquerque.

Shannon

Queen

@cannonofdoom: whatever you say.

I still won.

GarrettRainboom

How big is your dick

MoTa

BANNED

@GarrettRainboom: This.

cannonofdoom

Superannuate

@Shannon:
Sure. :P

@GarrettRainboom:
There are pictures on the internet somewhere. Find it.

You must be signed in to reply.