Sign in

I forgot my password.

How to Play Pokemon

Timoto58

Listening to the latest Podcast it made me think of the way that I play Pokemon.
The starter is always Fire, because there is no good Fire Pokemon in the early part of the game. Not Leaf because there is always a forest to catch them, and not Water because there are other good Water Pokemon like Gyarados. When I get to the DayCare House I always put in the two Bird Pokemon, because by the time that I have got the HM Fly and walk back to the DayCare the Bird Pokemon are around level 40-45 and then can destroy anything in its way.

86 Replies

sonny88p

I've tested many ways to play pokemon
I've found that the best way is to get 1 pokemon, for example nidoking/kangaskhan (with strong stats)
teach it ice, ground, fighting and dark/ghost moves (80power 15pp prefered)
and use only that pokemon to fight
because you only use that one to fight, he will get all the exp and level up faster than leveling up an entire team
use the others you get/catch as hm bitches

I have never needed to buy any items, never had to use any potions, never lost a battle, beaten the elites and gymleaders with much ease
after you beat everything you can catch them all

Timoto58

I agree with Kangaskhan. I might have to try that way on a new playthrough.

prodocol

Honestly I usually just choose the starter I like the best, because I never have trouble in the beginning of the game and I can always get any type of pokemon later in the game.

DashingRainbow

@prodocol:
that's what I do too,
but the way to go is nuzlocke challenge none of that pussy shit you guys are doing

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

Funny, I wasn't aware that there was a leaf type Pokemon.

ltayl1

I always choose fire starters. Always have.

DashingRainbow

Click to play

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

Just get a Mudkip.

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@Chenzo: Lord Chenzo has spoken!

Timoto58

@Redblood801:
I have always called them Leaf because of Fire Red and Leaf Green.

BigPaul2

i started on silver. and the copy i got was my sisters. she had some gameshark codes on it somehow, and i had infinite masterballs rarecandies and all the pokemon i could ever want. including celebi. so my first experience was a little tainted. then i erased my beautiful world and started my own. i used typhlosion, and as since then, have always used the fire types in every generation after 2. except diamond/pearl. i fucking hate infernape. thus began my switch to grass. fuck water though. hydro pump...what else.
what else do they got? say surf and i swear to god i will kill you.

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@BigPaul2: Surf.

deadshadow

foking furry

get the ones that are good against the next gym and plow the gym leaders into the ground with your girth

forcep

BANNED

I rotate through them as I go, but typically try to have a diverse team ready for any situation

Pat_RedHawk

one time i played an entire playthrough with just my charmander. before my 2nd encounter with my rival (this is in fire red) i already had a charizard

Parks

Ass To Ass

I uasually have my starter and two or three other pokemon, so I can cover the entire tree. Then I have golduck be my hm slave (rock smash, strength, waterfall, surf?) Then I have an empty spot if I want to catch anything else. This worked for me on Leafgreen.

sonny88p

I just started a new play through of soul silver
any suggestions on what I should name my new totodile (not feralcunt!)

shenmoki

BANNED

@sonny88p: Furralligator. Don't google that. *remembers how purple it was and shivers*

sonny88p

@sonny88p:I'm gonna name him Dylan
based on Dylan ail Don
"So they had the boy baptised, and as they baptised him he plunged into the sea. And immediately when he was in the sea, he took its nature, and swam as well as the best fish that was therein. And for that reason was he called Dylan, the son of the Wave"

Neal

ROLF

I used to get all the best pokemon with the best stats and moves. But then I decided to play it with pokemon I want. So I started using pokemon that don't have great stats but I love using. And eventually I make my team unstoppable.

sonny88p

@sonny88p:Well, my game keeps freezing
I get my egg, walk outside, freeze
load game, walk outside, freeze
start new game, get egg, walk outside, get into grass, freeze
start new game, get egg, walk outside, freeze

well, that sucks, gonna have to quit if I can't fix it

lcfc2

@sonny88p: unlucky i started again about 2 weeks ago and going to the 8th gym with Pidgeot, Growlithe, Seel, Meganium, Ampharos and Larvitar

JohnStephen

@sonny88p:
I'm so going to start naming my Pokémon after Irish Mythology!

I usually pick whichever appeals to me the most. I started with Gen2 and Cyndaquil rapes through the start. Especially with Sprout Tower just being about 3-4 free levels without even running out of PP for Ember.

aStingyMiser

I just have fun.
...Ya know, the thing Pokemon's for?

Pat_RedHawk

@AStingyMiser: this thread is ore like how people play instinctively

BreadWolf

Weinerlord

@AStingyMiser:
Playing a video game for fun? What the hell's wrong with you?

Btw will X and Y have achievements, or do I have to wait for the next one?

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@BreadWolf: Black/White 2 had a "medal" system that worked like achievements (sort of) so I wouldn't doubt something like that will be included in X/Y.

BreadWolf

Weinerlord

@Chenzo:
Oh Jesus. I was being sarcastic, but you're completely right.
I forgot all about the medal system.

Bello6

@BreadWolf:The dumbest thing ever made for no reason

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@Bello6: ikr?

BreadWolf

Weinerlord

@Bello6:
You should see my movie-making medals.
Fuckin' get on my level.

Fapplejakks

Replying to OP: I agree, well as far as choosing the starter goes. In every generation there are like 50 water/grass types to get, but there is generally only 4-5 different fire type pokemon to get.

FlygonNick

I've always played with a fire starter, ever since I played Pokémon Red for the first time when I was 4. Up until Diamond and Pearl, I just leveled up my fire starter through the roof and relied on legendries to back it up. When I got Pearl, I decided to try another approach, and got a rather balanced 6 Pokémon team. I tried to cover all of the types so I'd be prepared against any opponent, while keeping my starter slightly ahead of the others. I usually have fire, water, and electric always covered, and I try to get dual types for my other Pokémon, such as a Grass-Poison or something along those lines. I do try to get a dragon at some point though if . Usually I just end up with a really, really cool looking team that gets the job done in the end.

FlygonNick

if

FlygonNick

Yeah, I still can't completely work CHAT...man, I'm such an NGF...

BreadWolf

Weinerlord

@Fapplejakks:
Just wondering... anyone else have a favourite non-legendary water type?

CHAT Image
This is the only water-type I usually have in the first gen or two.

Fapplejakks

@BreadWolf: I usually go with a lapras or a Milotic but right now i'm actually training a sweet huntail because, when was the last time you saw someone using a huntail?

BreadWolf

Weinerlord

@Fapplejakks:
Valid point. My answer would have to be "never."

Fapplejakks

@BreadWolf: eggsactly.

BigPaul2

@Chenzo: naw we have fun.

CyroWolf

@BreadWolf: Quagsire. You can never go wrong with good ol' Quaggy.

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@BigPaul2: Yea you right.

sonny88p

@sonny88p:ok so I just started my new game again, no longer freezes, don't know why it did it, don't know why it stopped doing it

but anyway, I just got to the second gym, Dylan just became a Feraligatr (level 30), Togepi just hatched, caught a Paras to use Cut

I will keep you updated (even if you don't want me to)

sonny88p

@sonny88p:so I just beat the 3rd gym

I'm already level 45
that's enough for today

Christopher

I started playing Pokemon when I was really young, so naturally I always just leveled up my started and neglected everything else. Pretty sure I had a level 60 Blastoise while having m

Christopher

(Posted without me telling it to)
... my other Pokemon at level 20 or below. Nowadays I try to have one Pokemon in front, but the others close by with maybe 3 levels between. Always end up with either a Flygon or Snorlax being my strongest.

Deadlyparasite1

BANNED

GET A FUCKING TEAM OF DITTOS TO RAPE SHIT AND THEN YOU WIN. Have fun.

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@sonny88p: Thanks for sharing.

KorporalKitty

PAM

get scraggy then you will win forever

forcep

BANNED

Got the shit beat out of me by Chuck's Poliwrath, damn you hypnosis, barely beat it.

Shannon

Queen

I collect all pokemon i can in each route/tower/cave that I can get with my current skills and badges, than I finish the game and go back and collect all my missed pokemon. I use bulbapedia to make sure I do it right

DashingRainbow

@BreadWolf:
BLASTOISE!

forcep

BANNED

@19nonnahs93:I use a guide to know which one's I need to collect in an area

forcep

BANNED

@BreadWolf:in my playthrough of red I traded for a seel, and turned him into a dewgong, fought the final four with it

Shannon

Queen

@forcep: i dont have a guide so i use bulbapedia. Its the best ive got

BreadWolf

Weinerlord

@DashingRainbow:
I don't know what to say to that, honestly.
I mean, unless you use more than one starter...

@forcep:
Dewgong's pretty legit.

forcep

BANNED

@BreadWolf:yeah, but when I fought pryce my amphoros' thunder punch destroyed it

DashingRainbow

@BreadWolf:
you start with bastoise or you don't start at all!

sonny88p

@sonny88p:Picked up the game again, played for another hour, am now ready for gym 7, I'm at level 90 already, still beating every pokemon I see with one attack
(side note, double battles made me train my hm bitch to not faint after 1 hit)

JohnStephen

@sonny88p:
Why is your HM bitch number 2?

BreadWolf

Weinerlord

@DashingRainbow:

Best starter?
  1. Fire
  2. Water
  3. Weiners

Poll has been closed.

sonny88p

@JohnStephen:because I only use 1 to fight, the others I get are for HMs
right now as my second I got Vaporeon (which I got from Bill as an Eevee) for Surf (and other HMs when once I need it), he's currently somewhere mid 40s

status report
I have been playing for almost 2 hours total so far
I am standing outside the 7th gym
Feraligatr named Dylan at level 90
Vaporeon
Shuckle
Parasect (had to catch for HM01)
Togetic
I think there was also a Spearow I should've picked up somewhere but I don't remember where it was

Fapplejakks

Dude, I got a slowking, FUCKING RAD!

Fapplejakks

By the way, whats the best type of pokemon with king in its name, (besides homoking)

Best type of king?
  1. Slowking
  2. Slaking
  3. Nidoking

Poll has been closed.

Parks

Ass To Ass

Bump for the re-release.

CyroWolf

My usual playstyle is to usually go with the water starter, everything stays around the same level, something usually gets cycled out every badge or two in the team, and I try to avoid using legendaries in the main team. Only region that I don't just roll with the water starter so far is Sinnoh, because your only real options for a fire type were Infernape and Rapidash.

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@Parks: I'm glad they left the Missingno glitch in the re-release.

Parks

Ass To Ass

@Chenzo: Is the re-release the exact same game?

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@Parks: That's what I've gathered from the Internet, aside from the toning-down of the more flashier moves.

sonny88p

The last Pokémon game I played was Sacred Gold and I liked it so much, I will probably just play that one over and over again each time I get a kick of nostalgia

CyroWolf

@Chenzo: And you no longer need a Pikachu that knows Surf to do the Surfing Pikachu minigame in Yellow. (so I've been told)

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@CyroWolf: I still wouldn't trust traversing through an endless, perilous ocean to a small Pikachu. No matter how adorable they look with that little surf board.

ltayl1

Still picking fire starter.

Deleted user

I play differently every time.

My_nama_Jeff

Oil

To think that there's regional teams dedicated to Pokemon is insane.

Deleted user

@oilfire30:
Johto and Kanto share the Rockets. Also, Aqua and Magma share Hoenn. Flare is stylin' in Kalos, Plasma is Abe Lincolning Unova, and Sinnoh has the forgettable Galactic.

Levunrif

I'm not the biggest Pokemon fan so I just choose my favourite starter.

My_nama_Jeff

Oil

Well, the Jirachi event is on now. Got one already and I've just got to get the other one.

Deleted user

@oilfire30:
Go get? They're through WiFi Mystery Gift in the US. Haha, I got my 5.

My_nama_Jeff

Oil

@BBurn0: Yeah, but I've been too lazy to get one on Omega Ruby.

Deleted user

@oilfire30:
Ah, i thought maybe in the Australia it was code cards. Haha

Deleted user

@BreadWolf:
Dat Lapras

Parks

Ass To Ass

- You say "I'm an adult, screw nostalgia."

-You go play Suikoden II, FF IV, FF VI, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Wild Arms, Persona 3, P4, and Chrono Trigger.

- Never look back.

My_nama_Jeff

Oil

Also, DON'T FUCKLE WITH SHUCKLE!

Parks

Ass To Ass

@oilfire30: Shuckle's great.

Deleted user

@Parks:
I play alot of those as well, but can't really get into some of them.

You must be signed in to reply.