Sign in

I forgot my password.

Sword Art Online

LaughingMan9

So I've heard a lot of good things about this show. I'm like three episodes in and not terribly impressed. Does it start to pick up at some point?

The premise is cool and all and the themes could be pretty interesting if I could stand the main character.

65 Replies

DashingRainbow

My favourite anime! I liked it a lot though many people critisize it. The story is heartwarming, and the story picks up around ep 7. Kirito becomes more likable around episode 4 and 5.

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

Everybody and their mother seems to be going on about this anime.

Is it worth the watch?

LaughingMan9

@DashingRainbow: Thank christ. I can't relate to that introvert teenager trope anymore.

I was 12 at the time but I feel like that old show .HACK//Sign did a better job of incorporating the gaming aspect into the setting.

DashingRainbow

@Chenzo: tbh I like it more than I should but it is very good.

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@DashingRainbow: What do you mean 'more than you should'?

DashingRainbow

I realize some may call it sub par and most of the reviews I read bash it a bit, but its still my favourite anime.

LaughingMan9

Alright serious question. Is the main character gay?

DashingRainbow

definatly not, you'll see soon.

LaughingMan9

@DashingRainbow: This guy has passed up every piece of action he's seen. Even shared a bed with one.

And someone in the production team has some issues making the most sexualized character yet a minor with vaguely incestuous overtones. (Episode 4)

LaughingMan9

@DashingRainbow: Oh and that scene in the first episode where him and Klein swap compliments. That was odd.

DashingRainbow

@LaughingMan9: the bit with Klein was weird. there are a lot more incestuous tones much later in the series.

natehalodragon

@LaughingMan9: It gets a lot better in my opinion,and he's definitely not gay! He's waiting for the right girl. Also the MMO references get a lot better later on.

DashingRainbow

@natehalodragon: it gets a lot better, then a lot worse with Alfheim.

natehalodragon

@DashingRainbow:Yeah i don't know a lot of animes seem to do that kind of thing.

DashingRainbow

@natehalodragon: change pace halfway through and hace a shitty ending? yeah.

LaughingMan9

Do they ever address the fact that they would die of starvation/dehydration or is it just assumed someone hooked them up the an IV? Or is there some shenanigens with the headgear that keeps them alive?

sonny88p

If you like to put yourself into the character this anime is the best one ever, it has a wide range of emotions swirling the hero complex he has

natehalodragon

@LaughinMan9:I thought the same thing!

Peter

I liked it. Here's a pretty good review of it. Click to play

bomfy

The first arc is good, the second arc was pretty boring.

It's meh.

LaughingMan9

Up to episode 10 now, shit got good. Hope the rest of it isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be.

LaughingMan9

This fairy shit is absolutely asinine.

natehalodragon

@LaughingMan9:Yup you got there

LaughingMan9

@natehalodragon: Makes me want to choke a small animal. It was pretty damn good up til that point though. Guess I'll stick with it.

LaughingMan9

But I do appreciate the Midsummer Night's Dream references.

DashingRainbow

@LaughingMan9: the fairy shit sucks you should have stopped when you had the chance

LaughingMan9

@DashingRainbow: I really should've.

LaughingMan9

Despite it all I actually enjoyed the rest of it for the most part.

My two biggest critiques: They took the strongest female protagonist and made her Princess Peach. Lame as fuck.
And two, that "Papa" "Mama" shit is weird as fuck.

I could easily see the whole purpose behind this show being an attempt to raise sexual interest in young gaming adults because of Japan's declining birth rate. That actually makes a lot of sense the more I think about it.

Chenzo

( ͡° ͜ʖ

@Chenzo: Fuck you guys I liked all of it.

ReservoirDog

I liked the first half of the anime, the second part not so much. I mainly enjoyed the animation and the concept of a virtual reality MMO.

SpongeyGString

Akari~n!

Hahaha anime...

KingJemnas

I don't like it, I read the manga and it was such a piece of shit. Everyone loves it but the main character is such a common type character. Apparently the novels are better. I think 1/2 prince did it better.

LaughingMan9

@KingJemnas: Said the same thing. Whats this 1/2 prince business?

KingJemnas

@LaughingMan9:

It's about some girl who joins an online game fantasy game and she asks to have a male character because she doesn't want to lvl up and get good equips due to guys going crazy over her being a girl. Starts out really slow but picks up. She gets a sword that levels up with her which is pretty badass.

There's another gaming related manga which is called Yureka... Some dude finds a girl's game card and uses it but turns out it's a hacked character and it has some ridiculous powers and when he logs out it creates an npc type character that just follows him around. Main character is a sword master that uses magic swords.

Btw they're all reading only there's no anime for either one and I call them mangas but one is chinese and the other is korean.

Deleted user

Sword Art Online is pretty shit. The story makes no sense, and the treatment of women and romance is pretty fucking pathetic. Every character is a cliche.

The only things it does good is the boss fights and visuals. Everything else this anime does wrong.
Click to play

LaughingMan9

@simsoy: We're plainly not the target audience.

InvisibleMadman

It was ok.

KingJemnas

CHAT Image

You could also try this !

aWSOMN360

@simsoy: I wouldnt say does wrong, i would say isnt my style.

BigPaul2

@KingJemnas: hahahahahahahaha that webtoon turned very dragonball z in the last few chapters.

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@BigPaul2: But where's the 5 chapters of charging the attacks?

BigPaul2

@Redblood801: ahhh true true...but jin mo ri is kind of umm that one guy...im asumming you know..i dont want to be lindsay for people who might want to read it.

KingJemnas

@BigPaul2:

Just in the latest ones ? It's been pretty crazy since the beginning lol

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@BigPaul2: Wow, so he's that guy.

Alakawaii

I liked the first arc a lot, 8.5/10. It fell off for me so the second arc gets a lower score, but it had a solid ending. 7.5/10. Overall an 8/10. Good show.

Neal

ROLF

1 year later I have still not seen this anime.

Zac

Sheriff

@Neal:You totally should, its my number 2 i loved it so much.

ADashofRainbow

oh how my tastes have changed

Parks

Ass To Ass

@Neal: The first season is really good, the second season is....

Zackizzle

@Neal: You should watch it. Dylon loves it. It's shit.

LaughingMan9

You can do worse.

Miser_Reborn

it's okay but not as good as spy kid threeth

Zac

Sheriff

@Parks:Theres a second season?

Parks

Ass To Ass

@Zac: I thought that episode 14 was an unofficial end to season 1. I could be wrong though.

Zac

Sheriff

@Parks:Hmm that might be, if that's true then i must agree. I didn't like Elfland as much as Sword Art.

ADashofRainbow

@Parks:
I don't think it's a "season" per say, it's more of 2 story arcs

ghostface

Reference

I dont understand the reference

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@ADashofRainbow: Thanks Jojo...

ADashofRainbow

@Redblood801:
I understood that reference

Redblood801

Chief Dingus

@ADashofRainbow: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, ruining people's taste in manga/anime since 1986,

LaughingMan9

What is it with this show and the need to take every strong female character and turn them into bitches that need to be protected by the protagonist?

Zac

Sheriff

@LaughingMan9:Haha i never thought about that

LaughingMan9

@Zac: Its practically a theme now.

Zac

Sheriff

@LaughingMan9:I was worried that they wouldn't keep it up with season 2

You must be signed in to reply.